Gareth Bale ‘not ecstatic’ at Real Madrid but has never asked to leave Los Blancos, says agent Jonathan Barnett

Bale was deemed surplus to requirements by Zinedine Zidane in the summer and almost joined Chinese Super League club Jinagsu Suning, before Real chiefs pulled the plug on a move.

The 30-year-old has forced his way back into Zidane’s first-team plans this season, but has not been a consistent starter for the Frenchman.

And Barnett admits all is not well in Madrid for Bale.

He told the BBC’s Euro Leagues Podcast: “He’s not ecstatic. He has got a contract and as long as he is a Real Madrid player he will play at 100 per cent – and do very well.

“He wants to win the Championship and the European Championship and everything else. It will not affect his performance.

“The facts and figures prove if he is on the field for Real Madrid they have a better chance of winning.

“No one has ever accused him of not giving 100 per cent and a 100 per cent Gareth Bale is one of the best players in the world. The coach should be happy and honoured he is on the pitch for him.

Click Here: ADELAIDE CROWS 2019 MEN’S HOME GUERNSEY

“There’s no guarantee he is leaving. If the right opportunity came along for him and it’s something he wants to do we have to have a chat with the president of Real Madrid and see where we are.”

“He has never asked to leave,” added Barnett.

LIVE on talkSPORT

Check out all the live commentaries coming up across our network this week…

  • Millwall vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 19:45) – talkSPORT 2
  • Everton vs Chelsea (Saturday, 12:30) – talkSPORT
  • Huddersfield vs Leeds (Saturday, 12:30) – talkSPORT 2
  • Tottenham vs Burnley (Saturday 15:00) – talkSPORT 2
  • Manchester City vs Manchester United (Saturday, 17:30) – talkSPORT
  • West Brom vs Swansea (Sunday, 12:00) – talkSPORT 2

Bale caused controversy in Madrid when he posed with a Welsh flag which read ‘Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order’ following his country’s qualification to Euro 2020 last month.

The flag appeared to be a dig at the Spanish press, who have criticised Bale for the amount of time he spends on the golf course.

Since then, Bale has been booed by his own fans, but Barnett insists the banner was directed to the media, not Real Madrid supporters.

He continued: “It was directed only to the media because they had been writing very infantile and stupid stories from people that do not know him.

“The truth is he has done fantastically for Real Madrid in the years he has been there and helped them win so much.

“It’s hard to imagine why the crowd react the way they do to him and listen to people that say things in the press.